HVA International is contracted to study 4 sites in view of establishing green sugar projects. The preselected locations require more detailed studies related to water availability, draining the swamp, and land ownership before the best site can be selected and further full feasibility study prepared .
In 2012 HVA International was requested to update their feasibility study (final report in 2008) on the Tana Integrated Sugar Project ( TISP ). Mumias Sugar Company in Kenya, the owner of the study for an integrated sugar production, energy generating and alcohol production unit, aiming at a 10,000 TCD factory for about 20,000 ha sugarcane land. The energy production is based on a more energy efficient sugar mill, saving bagasse which is used to generate surplus electricity. Molasses – the other major by-product – is fermented and the alcohol prepared for direct sales.
HVA has more than a century of accumulated experience in worldwide agricultural and agro-industrial development. Building on its experience and expertise in developing and managing its own integrated tea, sugar, oil palm, rubber, cassava, natural fibre, fish-, and shrimp farm operations, HVA International has established a full-service consultancy and management firm and has diversified its activities into other crops and sub-sectors, such as dairy and poultry production, providing its services to a wide range of projects for private clients, government and parastatal organisations or funded by international development agencies.
HVA International specializes in providing technical assistance, consultancy services, consulting engineering and management for projects in the following sectors:
- Livestock production
- Crop production
- Aquaculture production
Many projects executed by HVA International are integrated, including primary production and processing. An overview of HVA International’s capabilities in these sectors is presented below:
Farm advisory and support services
- Applied field research and extension
- Outgrower schemes of integrated agro-industrial projects
- Milk collection schemes
- Artificial insemination services
- Input supply and rural credit
- Medium scale market-oriented crop and livestock production
- Commercial farming (dairy, beef fattening, mixed farming, field crops)
Integrated agro-industrial projects
- Sugar, tea, oil palm, vegetable oil
- Dairy, poultry, feed mills
- Privatization and restructuring
- Audit and improvement of processes from the hatchery to end consumer
- Consulting on the improvement of water quality and water treatment
- Fish pathology related services
- Strengthening of the Food Safety capacity
- Strengthening of the fish-products quality
- Fish food Innovation
- Traceability methods and systems
- Feasibility studies for new projects
- Services for the improvement of the production efficiency
- Web-based application for monitoring and managing fish-farms
The services comprise both inland and marine projects, and all the major types of production systems such as re-circulation systems, ponds, and sea cages.